Sunday, November 20, 2011

Holiday Tourists

This week, I made two visits to the Swiss Embassy to get a work visa since I'm spending so much time there. The easiest way to get there was the 414 bus - and online, it said it was a 40 minute ride. That didn't sound too bad - I thought I'd end up reading the entire way. But within seconds, I was car sick, so started watching out the window. And frankly, it was a lovely trip.

I passed the history museum with a winter ice rink and merry go round out side. I passed the Victoria Albert museum with holiday decorations outside. I passed Harrod's, and felt like a child, enthralled by its lights that made the huge building look like it glittered. I passed Hyde Park, where they are holding a Winter Wonderland. I passed the huge arch in the middle of the city (can't remember its name!) and then Marble Arch. It got me so excited again that I live here, so on the way back, I got off at Harrod's and walked around for a few minutes - and the effect is dizzying. I hadn't been in Harrod's yet - amazingly - and I can't wait to go back when I have a day to get lost!

The next day, I had to take a different bus back from the embassy, to head to the office, and it took me down Oxford and Regent Street. Again, the lights, the stores, the people - it was fantastic.

So, this weekend, we scrapped plans to go to the National Gallery Museum (it was too nice a day anyway!), and we headed to Oxford Street. Chloe is doing a little play at school soon, and is a duck, so needed some specific clothes. We shopped - along with a million other people - our way along Oxford, had a wonderful lunch in the middle of it all, walked through Mayfair (likely the poorest people there!) and ended up home late in the afternoon exhausted from being holiday tourists. It's a lot of work!

But, we're not done yet. I have an extensive list of holiday activities to get in before we head back the states - a visit to the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland, a visit to Covent Garden for reindeer petting, ice skating in one of the many places around (once Chloe's new double-bladed skates are delivered)...

But first, we are going to celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday with some friends. The turkey is ordered, the ingredients for the sides are purchased and we hope to overeat - American style.

No comments:

Post a Comment